the new jacket went out to lunch on Easter Sunday



I couldn't figure out why this jacket was hanging around so long, but since I was happy to see the price continuing to drop, I didn't waste time wondering. I finally snagged it on markdown + promo + discount, so the fact that I had to fudge my principle of no weird blends no eye of newt no toe of frog kind of took a back seat.

The edging reads black and white from a distance, close up it's a dark purple and white. The blues and greens in the main tweed go with just about everything in the green and blue families. I wore it out to lunch on Easter Sunday with my viridian green pencil skirt and my navy silk tee, dug out a pair of Hue tights from TJ's that were the same color as the skirt, and decided to stop there. Well, I know I wore shoes but there was a lot of champagne at lunch and by the time I decided to make a note of the outfit I couldn't remember which shoes I wore. The jacket can look very busy if you're not careful, so no jewelry or scarf at the neck.

Some details: I had to try on 3 or 4 sizes before I found a size I liked on me, which was the smallest one I tried. I like how it looks, but  I have no idea whether it looks the way the "Design Team" meant it to look. Well, my money, my jacket, but I note that perhaps the sizing issue has something to do with why it lingered.


The fabric content tag mentions silk, cotton, poly, rayon -
there were different content tags on the different jackets I tried, so I went by feel. The lining on mine is actually quite nice in feel and texture, and I could detect no silk in the "decoration." Could a factory have made a mistake and used a silk lining? Well, sometimes the bear gets you, sometimes you get the bear.

The only "decoration" other than the binding - a few self-fringed seams. Self-fringing is not something J.Crew does well, or consistently. I trimmed the seams so that all of the fringes were more or less the same length, that is, the (still) uneven fringe on the right shoulder seam is now approximately the same length as the (still) uneven fringe on the left shoulder seam. I eliminated a few very long straggler threads that were just asking for trouble. Given JC's history of problems with seams opening, hems falling, and holes developing, I should think that self-fringing is something they'd try to avoid....

The closure consists of a few little hooks like the ones that used to be on fur coats, they're meant to be invisible and by and large are. I think this is a good idea, because if the jacket had those tacky gold buttons on the front, it would be unwearable.

The lining and construction are lovely.



Go-withs. I actually didn't like it with jeans, the tweed is not soft enough. Or something.

Liked it with navy, liked it with black, liked it with greens. Did not like it with chartreuse or turquoise. Would not mix tweeds or patterns with it. Might wear it with black tank and white jeans in the summer, if someone reminds me in late July, I'll try it and report.

The "new twinsets" - I figured these for great markdowns for sure, and 3 of them, well, 2 ½, are home, after markdowns, promos, discounts. Still not the cheapest things I've ever bought, but since I've bought very little else and nothing fits the life of the perennial tourist like a light-weight twin-set...

So: here are the navy window pane cardigan and the cherry navy/pink microcheck shell. The cardigan will work with pink tops as well as navy, although so far with little else.

Wearing them now, the featherweight cashmere is very comfortable, the windowpane lines are actually a pale grey which makes the cardigan very versatile - gray pants, gray skirt, as well as the usual suspects. I think this would look too busy with a pink or red skirt, but staying in the gray/navy/denim area, it's fine. The navy is quite deep, so I thought it would go well with the first French Hen silk shirt - bargain goes with bargain, right? not this time. Still working on other combos. As a fallback, the navy microcheck cardi jumped into my arms when I entered the Rock Center store and although there was some discussion as to whether or not there was a sale/promo that day, at the end of it the sweater was mine.

I also wanted to see how the bright green/navy/medium blue combo would look on me, but was a day too late. The sweater had appeared on late-night TV. So I did a store search myself and located it in the "concept store" in New Jersey, but the person who answered the phone told me she couldn't do a charge-send for "security reasons." Not even to me, on my very own JC card, at the billing address on the account. What is with that store? They did a charge-send to me right before Christmas, when I needed something for the Hawaii trip (posts still to come).

Then the cardi and the shell turned up at the Madison/45th Street store, the sweet thang who answered the phone said she'd hold them for 24 hours, took my name, described the place where holds are stored, and when I got there there was no "hold" for me. Anywhere. That store has real problems, I understand that for a while corporate was making a serious effort to shake it up, now it just seems dreary and grab-it-while-you-can. Like a TJ's in an isolated strip mall. Third time lucky, the sweaters are mine. Of course the combo can only be worn with navy, by me anyway, because IT IS BRIGHT. If I'd had to pay the starting price I wouldn't have gotten started with this.

On all of these cardigans, the buttons are nice. As they should be.

Sizing issues: these are not "shrunken" the way the Creatures of the Wind sweaters were, so I would say after trying on a variety of sizes that they're actually true to size.
By the way, I got a lot of use out of that CofW twinset on recent trips, which is why I've been open to the possibility of another JC featherweight patterned twinset. Or two.

In case you were wondering whether the light blue/dark blue microcheck shell works with the Dual Tweed Jacket, be advised that it categorically does not. Walking test for astigmatism comes to mind. And the CofW sweaters go only with each other and with solids. Even Gail, Stylist to the Deranged and Color-Blind, didn't show these with polyester paisley pajama bottoms.

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review of the tweed jacket - it looks like a good piece, especially at the sale price - and it looks like it would go very well with the viridian green skirt. Glad to hear you were able to track down the cashmere cardigans! I would be very upset if I put something on hold and then went to the store only to find it was not there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Louise, the hunt for the cardigans was quite a project, and then I wound up returning and re-buying each several times as the markdowns happened, so it was worth it in the end.

      I think I'll enjoy the jacket!

      Delete
  2. I like the look of the jacket - surprised you don't like it with jeans because that is the first thing I thought it might look good with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sulky, I thought so, too, but the "with jeans" outfit looked, well, like I was trying to hard to look "effortless." And the jacket is on the short side, so with snug jeans, there's emphasis on an area that doesn't benefit from emphasizing. But there are plenty of other things to wear with it, so I'm not complaining.

      Delete
  3. The pieces look lovely, how is the pill factor? I wanted the featherweight cashmere argyle but was afraid it would pill. Noticed I have one featherweight cashmere argyle cardi from SP09 in a lovely light purple colorway. It's pilled under the arms but I'll give it the brush and pretend it's brand new.

    "Stylist to the Deranged and Color-Blind" indeed! She is quoting Iris Apfel in the recent catalog. Nothing against Ms. Apfel, she is one of a kind to be sure and neither deranged nor color-blind that I know of but how many people in J.Crew's demographic want to dress like her? Not me. At least not for another 50 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, xoxo, my first featherweights were really pill-meisters. These, so far, have been fine (crosses fingers). The single worst pilly cashmere ever is the cashmere tipped boyfriend cardigan, which I have to groom before wearing as if I were entering it in the dog show, and I would have thrown it out except it's so nice with so many wool pants...

      Iris Apfel is admirable on many fronts, but ya know what? Courage and individuality are not fashion.

      Delete
  4. Wow, I really like that jacket; I never saw it before. I wouldn't think you'd have to close it at all. Now remember the black tank/white jeans idea, should it ever be warm ever again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lane, that's one good point about phony phabrics, many of them are seasonless. The jacket was on and off the J.Crew website all winter, I guess I should say most of the winter to date, it came and went, and from time to time a handful would show up in one store or another.

      Since my summer standby outfit when I want to make an effort is white jeans with black or navy top plus Something Against Air-Conditioning, there's a strong likelihood that the jacket will join the rotation.

      Delete
    2. Phabrics! Love!! I have a 2010 Dauphine jacket, tweedy mix with browns, purchased on supersale, that fills this function, but I like the cut of this one and the navy.

      Delete
    3. just looked UO the Dauphine, the Dual Tweed is not as fringe-y (especially after I gave it a haircut), and seems a little more structured, although that could be the phabric.

      Delete
  5. That jacket looks great, and like Sulky, I would have thought it would look good with jeans... Regardless it seems like a good buy.
    I'm rather jealous of your cashmere twinsets. Those variations were in my fantasy shopping list, but sadly they never went below about $250 on the Aus J (S)crew site.
    Glad your tenacity paid off. Customer service sounds woeful in those stores.... And here was me thinking its only in the UK that bad service is common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ruth, the tags are still on all but one of the cardis, I'm waiting to see if there will be further price drops.

      JC customer service is legendary, both for the amazingly good and the outrageously bad. These ups and downs happen with such consistency that I have to conclude the management knows about it and it's part of Dear Leader's Secret Plan for World Domination Through Customer Demoralizatiion.

      But I am happy with my jacket and my sweaters, even though I feel I more than paid for them, I earned them.

      Delete
  6. Fred - love this jacket and your review is so thorough! I really like it - I cannot weae those chanel style jackets, though I keep trying and eventually, my ship will come in and i will buy ten of them! I also really admired those sweaters. mY order of last week should be in soon and am curious what I will think of things. I ordered leather ballet flats a few weeks ago in my normal size and they fit completely differently than the same shoes I ordered early in the season - as in a 1/2 size larger despite the number on the sole - kept walking out of them. That is my frustration with JC. SO back they went. I am nervous about the lasest order - we will see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had very strange experiences with JC shoes. The silliest was a pair of open-toe heels that were so wide they didn't stay on my feet. Not just "needs an insole" wide, falling off the foot wide. I think the problem is that the size goes on the product after the order is "picked," and if the order is for 2000 size sevens, that's what will be shipped. Since up tp that point, the factories, pickets, packers and shippers are all far, far away, who's to know?

      Delete
  7. I am glad that I finally know what Gail's actual job title is. Now it all makes sense. And that even she has her limits. I really like your purchases, and I see the twinset with white/ ivory/beige too. Great choices- enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm glad I was able to clear that up. Thanks, KnitYarns!

      Delete
  8. I pretty much enjoyed all of your finds, and with the seasons changing, the urge to purchase is upon me.

    Or is it more the thrill of the hunt?

    Either way, when you tire of these, let me know. :-)

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Pearl, I didn't have to use ancestry.com to know that my female-line DNA shows shameless hunters and gatherers for whom shopping has always been a blood sport. No pack of dogs needed, I have a coupon!

    ReplyDelete

As Alice Roosevelt Longworth said, if you've got anything bad to say, sit next to me! No, really, please remember to be kind, and don't say anything fred's mother would not approve of (Diner's mom didn't approve of anything. Including fred.)
Wellfedfred and the Whining Diner reserve the right to edit or delete any comments submitted to this blog without notice if we find:
1. Comments deemed to be spam or questionable spam
2. Comments including profanity or objectionable language
3. Comments containing concepts that could be deemed offensive
4. Comments that attack a person individually
and since there's been a flood of spam lately, we're trying the Robot thing to see if we can block some spam...