and home again, lunch at DBGB

There may be many reasons I don't remember CBGB all that clearly, and I think I might gasp or blush or deny everything if some unkind person told me what they are. However, Daniel Boulud has done a terrific job in turning the dear smelly cavern into a place fit for daylight entry, and first off, I love the crowd. It's a wonderful mix of families, young couples, old couples, really snappy dressers, people on v. obvious first dates, and guys who just came in for lunch, which is what we've done a couple of times, and did again as soon as we were back in town.

Next, I love the food-and-drink centered quotes in the bar. My camera wasn't up to immortalizing them, since they're written in white marker on mirror. Many of the quotes are from dear old friends of mine, probably of yours too:
I like to have a martini,
Two at the very most.
After three I'm under the table
After four I'm under my host!

I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés.

And a favorite from Fernand Point, the kitchen deity in my house:
More butter!

Ok, enough, we came to eat. Recent travels having led to weight gain, the invisible guest at the table was Dr. Atkins. He shook his invisible head in despair as I chowed down on delectable Pappardelle Bourguignonne, that is, the noodles are noodles, and the sauce is gloriously overcooked falling apart Boeuf Bourguignon with a few (cooked, thank Heaven!) baby vegetables. And Himself had a large bowl of Moules Poulette, perfectly cooked, followed by a snack of hand-cut Boeuf Tartare. Kind of a beefy theme here. Oh, Moules Poulette - make Moules Marinière and finish the sauce before serving with cream, a beaten egg yolk or two, and a little butter. Lazy me, I'll let the Equipe Boulud do it.

We skipped dessert. That made us feel like we were in abstention mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As Alice Roosevelt Longworth said, if you've got anything bad to say, sit next to me! No, really, please remember to be kind, and don't say anything fred's mother would not approve of (Diner's mom didn't approve of anything. Including fred.)
Wellfedfred and the Whining Diner reserve the right to edit or delete any comments submitted to this blog without notice if we find:
1. Comments deemed to be spam or questionable spam
2. Comments including profanity or objectionable language
3. Comments containing concepts that could be deemed offensive
4. Comments that attack a person individually
and since there's been a flood of spam lately, we're trying the Robot thing to see if we can block some spam...